Pune Goa Monsoon Cycle Road Trip -1

By Amrit Mishra - September 02, 2015

What can be the best way to celebrate Independence Day?

As I am already done with all those Independence Day rallies which happen in Pune city. Most of the groups, be it the motorbike, cycle, running, photography all do their respective Independence day ride.

2015, I wanted to celebrate in some better way. As it is the monsoon, a weird IDEA popped up.

"How about a cycling road trip to GOA, exploring different places and  as per google maps it is approximately 425km, and as per my calculation it would take me 2 days."

Took Leave from Office. Had the call with Viaterra guys, for a cycling bag, they managed to send me a handlebar bag which was big enough for 2-3 day ride.



14th August 2015, 6.00am
When everyone was busy getting ready for office and most of IT guys were waiting at the bus stop, I packed my bag, tied my tent, sleeping bag, raincoat on the back carrier of the bike. Tied the Viaterra Handle Bar bag with some clothes and left. I had already received the road bike from the bike store 1 day prior on rental. And soon I was out of city cruising in highway enjoying music, calm weather as there was no rain, but clouds make the climate cooler. Most of motorcycle, car drivers, trucks were crossing me giving me a weird look. And all I did is smile at them.





This thing continued, captured photographs, selfies, videos. Road where not that good for a road bike, there were many bad patches which forced me to slow down, just to avoid going flat. I stopped at regular intervals, had water and refreshments and again started. There are lots of uphills and downhill, where down last for the fraction of seconds, uphill goes on for hours, sometimes it gets irritating. Anyway I was at the advantage due to my road bike and 27 gear ratio helped me a lot.





The best part of my trip started when I crossed Satara which was 100km from Pune, as the roads after that were in good conditions and I was able to take full advantage of having a road bike. And many times people use to come by and ask same old questions.

Where am I going? 
Where am I from? 
Am I  in some kind of race. and when I mention I am going GOA in the cycle. all of them had some expression. and it was too funny sometimes.

What  I loved is people are not that bad either, many wished me for my trip. Many enjoyed talking with me, some also took my photographs and it was an overall new experience which I never had during motorbike trips. Every solo trip I did it helped me a lot, to learn many new amazing things which I would have never learned.

Soon it was dark and I reached Kolhapur by 9 pm, 200km done for Day 1. Booked a lodge near to highway for 400 bucks. Already was in lot pain and, was dehydrated badly so had my dinner and what an awesome sleep I had.



Hoping for next day to recover and reach my destination in time.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments